Protecting individual privacy is important and Dial An Applianceman is committed to maintaining personal information that it obtains secure and confidential. Dial An Applianceman generally uses personal information to provide customers with the products and services they have requested, and to get to know you, your needs and your preferences in order to provide you with superior customer service.
Personal Information We Collect
In order to conduct certain aspects of our business, including processing your requests for our products or services, we may be required to collect personal information about you. In this policy, the term “personal information” means any information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name, title or business contact information of an employee of an organization, when collected, used or disclosed for the purpose of communications relating to the employees’ employment, business or profession.
- non-excluded identifying information regarding an individual in his or her capacity as an employee of an organization and the name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and other contact information of an individual outside of his or her role as an employee of an organization;
- information we collect or generate in order to comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements, including information about an individual’s business or occupation;
- social insurance number and/or other personal identifiers, such as date of birth, collected for credit checks;
- individual credit reports and credit history, asset and liability information;
- information about an individual’s past dealings and accounts with Dial An Applianceman, including payment history or reports of suspicious transactions;
- information about past financial dealings with third party references provided to us;
- account information and records collected and retained over the course of an individual’s relationship with us; and
- such other personal information collected with an individual’s consent or as permitted or required by law.
Please note that you are never required to provide us with your social insurance number; however, in order to accurately process a credit application received from you, we require a social insurance number, date of birth or driver’s license number.
Collection of Personal Information
Dial An Applianceman and its representatives may collect personal information in a number of circumstances in connection with our business and we may collect or receive personal information through a number of other sources, including:
- when you request a quote, order, purchase, return or exchange any of our products or services;
- when you submit a credit application, whether personally or on behalf of a corporate credit application, including in the capacity as a guarantor of the obligations of a corporate customer;
- when you correspond with us, including electronically, to contact one of our representatives, provide us with questions or comments or participate in any promotion or survey which we may make available from time to time;
- when we receive corporate information from existing or prospective customers in order to evaluate potential business relationships;
- when we access publicly available registries and databases to learn more about existing and potential customers;
- from credit reporting agencies and current and past creditors;
- from third party financial institutions and similar references provided in connection with a credit evaluation;
- through our research on industry sectors and other areas relevant to our business;
- from our affiliates with whom you may have had past dealings;
- when you visit or use the Dial An Applianceman’s website, which may involve the collection of: (a) visitor data provided voluntarily by site users; and (b) site data that is collected automatically by our systems to provide us with information about site use and for research analysis purposes;
- when you apply for employment with Dial An Applianceman; and
- other ongoing transactions or interactions with Dial An Applianceman.
Use of Personal Information
Personal information will be used only for those purposes to which the affected individual has consented, subject to certain exceptions detailed below, as permitted or required by applicable privacy laws.
Dial An Applianceman may use personal information with the affected individual’s consent in connection with credit decision-making, account opening processes and the ongoing administration of our business relationships, including for such purposes as:
- identifying our customers, including the identities of directors, officers and guarantors of corporate customers;
- developing and maintaining our relationship with you, including with respect to the promotion or offering of additional products and services that might benefit or be of interest to you, processing orders, providing ongoing service and arranging delivery of products or services;
- reviewing individual and corporate credit applications in furtherance of our credit approval process, including to make a determination of credit worthiness and whether to extend credit in response to credit requests;
- to obtain and exchange credit information from and with credit reporting agencies, credit references and other sources with whom you have or may expect to have financial dealings;
- monitoring, detecting and preventing fraudulent and suspicious transactions, including meeting risk management and fraud monitoring requirements;
- checking an individual’s past dealings or accounts with us or our affiliates;
- otherwise meeting legal and regulatory requirements;
- enforcing accounts and collecting any amounts owing to us;
- in connection with audit requirements;
- maintaining business records for reasonable periods to meet reasonable business needs and in accordance with legal and regulatory records retention requirements;
- evaluating an application for employment;
- generally managing and administering our business; and
- as otherwise consented to by an individual consent or as permitted or required by law.
- In some circumstances, Dial An Appliacneman may use and disclose personal information without the affected individual’s consent, including where:
- we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law and the information is used for that investigation;
- an emergency exists that threatens an individual’s life, health or security;
- the information is for statistical study or research;
- the information is publicly available, as defined in applicable privacy laws;
- the use is clearly in the affected individual’s interest, and consent is not available in a timely way;
- knowledge and consent would compromise the availability or accuracy of the information, which is relevant to the detection, suppression or prevention of fraud, the investigation of a breach of an agreement or a contravention of the law; or
- collection is required to investigate a breach of an agreement.
Disclosure and Transfer of Personal Information
Personal information will be accessible by those Dial An Applianceman employees, officers and directors that need to know the information for the purposes of their work, including as identified below.
We may otherwise disclose personal information as set out below, with the affected individual’s consent or as permitted or required by law.
- Services and Transactions: We may disclose personal information as necessary in connection with the transactions, products and services you have requested, including to third party suppliers in respect of the product warranties offered to you.
- Disclosure within Dial An Applianceman: Certain personal information about individual representatives of our corporate customers (including officers, directors, shareholders, owners, principals and guarantors) may be disclosed to our affiliates for the purposes of our and their ongoing risk management, fraud detection and security requirements, and for identity, financial and related background verification in connection with the provision of products and services.
- Internal Processes: We may disclose personal information as reasonably necessary to meet insurance, audit, processing and regulatory requirements.
- Personal information disclosed to third parties will be protected by a confidentiality, non-disclosure or other similar agreement requiring appropriate privacy protection.
- PIPEDA permits Dial An Applianceman to disclose personal information to third parties, without the affected individual’s knowledge and consent, to:
- a lawyer representing Dial An Applianceman;
- collect a debt owed to Dial An Appliacneman by the affected individual or customer with respect to whom the affected individual’s personal information was collected;
- comply with a subpoena, a warrant or an order made by a court or other body with appropriate jurisdiction;
- a law enforcement agency in the process of a civil or criminal investigation; or
- a government agency or department requesting the information.
PIPEDA also permits Dial An Applianceman to transfer personal information to a third party without the affected individual’s knowledge or consent if the transfer is simply for processing purposes and the third party only uses the information for the purposes for which it was transferred.
Disclosure and Transfers Outside of Canada
Some of the third parties to whom we may disclose or transfer personal information, including our affiliates, may be located outside of Canada and personal information may therefore be disclosed, transferred, stored (including electronically) or processed outside of Canada for the purposes described herein.
Accordingly, any personal information which is disclosed, transferred, stored or processed outside of Canada may be subject to legal requirements in foreign countries applicable to Dial An Applianceman or the third parties, including the laws of the United States.
Where required, an individual’s express, written consent will be obtained before or at the time of collecting personal information and the purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of the personal information will be provided to the individual at the time of seeking his or her consent. Once consent is obtained from the individual to use his or her information for those purposes, Dial An Applianceman has the implied consent of the affected individual to collect or receive any supplementary information that is necessary to fulfil the same purposes. Express consent will also be obtained if, or when, a new use is identified.
By signing a credit application and/or other form, implied consent is granted by the individual to obtain and/or to verify information from third parties such as banks, credit bureaus and other lenders in the process of assessing the credit worthiness of an individual or a corporate customer on whose behalf the individual’s personal information is collected.
An individual can choose not to provide some or all of the personal information at any time, but if Dial An Applianceman is unable to collect sufficient information to proceed with the approval of a request for credit, such request may be delayed or turned down.
A customer or an individual can withdraw consent to the use of his or her personal information at any time by making such request in writing to Dial An Applianceman, at the address noted below in this policy.
Retention of Personal Information
Personal information will be retained in customer files for as long as the file is active and for such periods of time as may be required for reasonable business purposes and as prescribed by applicable laws and regulations.
For example, a credit file will be deemed inactive if an application for credit is rejected, when financial obligations are repaid in full or when a guarantee is terminated. Information contained in an inactive file will be retained for a period of seven (7) years, except in the case where an application is rejected; in which case the personal information contained in the file will be retained for a period of up to two (2) years.
Dial An Applianceman endeavours to ensure that any personal information provided by the individual in his or her active file(s) is accurate, current and complete as is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which the information has been collected, used, retained and disclosed. Individuals are requested to notify Dial An Applianceman of any change in personal or business information collected by Dial An Applianceman. Information contained in inactive files is not updated.
Questions, Requests for Access and Complaints
c/o Edmonton Dial An Applianceman Inc.
Email address: email@example.com
14524 115 Ave NW Edmonton, AB T5M 3B9
Telephone : (780) 964-7861
Requests for access will be fulfilled within 30 days and individuals will be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information. If upon receiving access, you find that the information held by Dial An Applianceman is inaccurate or incomplete, upon providing documentary evidence to verify the correct information, Dial An Applianceman will promptly make the required changes to the personal information retained by it; provided, however, that you may be asked to provide identification and/or other proof acceptable to Dial An Applianeman to verify such inaccuracies or changes.
If an individual has a concern about the personal information handling practices of Dial An Applianceman, a complaint, in writing, may be directed to the President of Dial An Applianceman. Upon verification of the individual’s identity, the President will act promptly to investigate the complaint and respond to the individual within 60 days.
Where the Dial An Applianceman President makes a determination that the individual’s complaint is well founded, the Dial An Appliacneman President will take the necessary steps to correct the offending information handling practice and/or revise the privacy policies and procedures of Dial An Applianceman. Where the Dial An Applianceman President determines that an individual’s complaint is not well founded, the individual will be notified in writing of such determination.
If the individual is dissatisfied with the finding of and corresponding action taken by the Dial An Applianceman President, the individual may bring a complaint to the appropriate Privacy Commissioner for their jurisdiction.